Sunday, August 25, 2013

How to Memorize the New Testament - Getting Sloppy

My memorizing journey started out with a bang and ended with a whimper.  I started memorizing every day of the week but went down to 5 days a week after a few months.  At the time I was in school and reading the Bible for devotions every day, but found the time for working on memorization 45 minutes a day.

During that 45 minutes I spent about 5 minutes memorizing one verse a day and 35 to 40 minutes in what I call recover study.  Recover study is going over 90 past memorized verses and refreshing myself so that I didn't forget what I already put to memory.  I explain this all in a video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJtG3nsjeWQ

Out of school I added to my Bible study.  I was teaching myself Biblical Hebrew, reading the Bible and reading books about the Bible - every day.  Years later, I cut down on memorizing to 4 days a week and then 3.  By the time I had 20 years in, I was burning out and felt like I needed to cut back on something.  I had memorized most of the New Testament books I wanted to and a few Psalms, so to keep my sanity, I quit memorizing but continued with all my other studies which at that time included preparing for sermons.

The memorizing helped me a lot through the years in my ministry.  I quoted verses in sermons, and also found that memorizing had helped me to remember and find passages I wanted to use in life and in sermons.

Ten years later I stepped out of being a pastor for a short time (it turned out to be much longer than I planned) and I taught in several local Christian universities.  But years without working on recovering scripture, while teaching in local universities, I began getting a bit sloppy in quoting the Bible.  When students asked questions about any topic, I had chapters and verses (in their own proper context) to help support whatever answer I gave (of course I only quoted a verse or two - not a whole chapter).  But those quotes began to get sloppy and I would forget what followed the verse I was quoting.  I found myself paraphrasing more and more and quoting word for word less and less.

That's what happens when you no longer keep up with what you memorized; when you no longer recover scripture put to memory.  And so after 10 more years of paraphrasing and being sloppy, I decided to go back to those books I had memorized, work through them again, get updated, memorize again if needed, test myself, push myself to be accurate word for word again.  I returned to my recovery process. 

LESSON LEARNED

Years ago, I pushed myself to memorize a good portion of the New Testament, and when I had enough, I quit.  For some reason, it didn't enter my mind until lately, that I didn't have to quit entirely.  At the time I quit I had a regimen of memorizing one verse a day which only took a few minutes.  However, it took me up to 40 minutes a day to cover past books I had already memorized, which meant working through and testing myself on 90 verses a day on verses I had put to memory.

For some reason it was all or nothing for me - it hadn't occurred to me that I could stop memorizing verses and cut recovery time in half or less.  It wouldn't be as good as a whole 40 minutes, but it would have helped a lot and helped me to quote better.





No comments:

Post a Comment