Saturday, June 18, 2011

How to Get a Good Night's Sleep

When I was much younger I found that I had trouble sleeping at night it didn't seem normal. I tried to sleep and tried, but for some reason I was wide awake. While I struggled to go to sleep I kept thinking that I hadn't been reading the Bible lately, so I promised God I would the next day. Still I couldn't sleep and still I kept thinking that I should read the Bible. I thought, I have to go to work in 6 hours and I can't get up for devotions, so I turned over and tried even harder to go to sleep.

This went on for about a half an hour, until I finally caved in and got up. I took my Bible and angrily put it on my desk and told God, "I hope you're happy." As I read for the next hour I felt a very real presence of God. I felt blessed...like God was happy.

For years afterward, if I neglected my devotions for one day I couldn't sleep that night until I got up and finished reading my Bible or praying or both. I confess, I have never liked getting up when I wanted to sleep, but it has been the best thing for me.

Do you have trouble sleeping at night?

No comments:

Post a Comment