Saturday, June 11, 2011

More About Devotions

WHEN IS THE BEST TIME FOR DEVOTIONS?

How much time you spend with God each day in devotions depends upon you and your schedule. Some people like the mornings, some like the nights - whatever time best fits into your schedule is the best time.

HOW MUCH TIME SHOULD BE SPENT IN DEVOTIONS?

Everybody's different. I think 15 to 20 minutes a day is a good amount of time to spend in devotions each day, however, this should be the very minimum. Some people have several hours of devotions a day.

WHAT IF I DON'T FEEL LIKE DEVOTIONS TODAY?

Devotions are like exercise - just because you don't feel like it for the day, it is best to put in your time even when you are not in the mood because it keeps you fit. Besides, learning and growing in the faith isn't about what you feel. Sometimes I don't feel like exercise, but I go to the gym anyway because I my body needs to exercise whether I feel it or not. As a result, I stay fit. The same is true with devotions. Do not let your emotions guide your devotions.

CAN THERE BE TOO MUCH TIME SPENT IN DEVOTIONS?

Just as it is possible to overexercise, it is very possible to spend too much time in devotions. I will admit it is extremely rare, but it does happen. I think the main reason most people spend too much time in devotions is because of spiritual pride. Some of us think we are more spiritual than most or better than most, so we push ourselves to become more spiritual than most by spending hours and hours in devotions.

But this is not only unhealthy, it is carnal (Ie: it is not from God but from our own pride, our own self-interest, our own self and not from God).

My suggestion is this: If you feel like you would like to spend a lot of time with God, start out with an hour a day of Bible reading and an hour a day in prayer. See how it goes. If you get worn down more and more cut back by 15 minutes each. But if you feel compelled to go further, pray, check your reasons for doing so and add 15minutes each.

When I was younger I started with a few minutes, built up to 2 hours and then eventually to about 3 to 4 hours a day. Eventually, when I began to feel stressed and worn down because of it, I allowed myself to taper down. As I get older I still taper down, but still keep a fair amount of time for devotions - usually about an hour to an hour and a half a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment