Thursday, May 19, 2011

How to Pray

The most common misconceptions about prayer that I have heard are these:
"God knows what I need, I don't need to ask Him for anything, and if I do, I only need to ask once."
"God wants me to do as much my own...after all, God helps those who help themselves." By the way that is not a Bible verse.
"If God answers me this time, I'll never ask Him for anything again."

The truth about prayer is this: God wants us to pray and He wants us to pray a lot. The Bible tells us to pray without ceasing.

And when you pray, it's not all about saying the right words. Memorized prayers such as the Lord's Prayer can help us find general direction as we pray, but simply quoting the words of the prayer is an empty practice. God wants to hear what is on your heart, so tell Him whatever is on your heart and pray for the things you worry about, the things you would like to see in life, and pray for help facing life's struggles. God looks at the heart, so pray from your heart.

Finally, remember to be thankful when God answers prayer. In fact, its good from time to time to thank God for all He has done for you.

SCRIPTURE FOR CONSIDERATION

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
whatever you ask him (Philippians 4:6).

And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you (Luke 11:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment