Monday, May 2, 2011

The Unforgivable Sin

Sometimes there are reasonings and emotions that affect us deeply that simply are not true, but somehow the feelings get a hold of us and will not let go. For example, I have heard many people say that they believe that they have committed some unforgiveable sin. Nobody has ever told me what the particular evil was committed, but I'm sure it was pretty nasty.

In truth, every person that has told me that he/she has committed that unforgivable sin was mistaken. How did I know that? I knew they had not committed the unpardonable sin because they were concerned.

When Jesus talked about the unforgivable sin he was addressing relligious leaders who had called the Holy Spirit a demon. That and that alone was the unforgivable sin. And because they had committed the unpardonable sin, the had no more desire to know the truth...their hearts were hardened...they were unconcerned about the health of their spiritual lives because they thought they were o.k. God was no longer drawing them to Him.

When people tell me that they are afraid that they have committed that unforgivable sin, they are always concerned. They are concerned because God is still working in them drawing them to the truth...giving them a hunger to know Him; but they have done something that they regret and have not been able to let go. In reality, they have committed a sin for which they cannot forgive themselves. God can forgive, but they cannot.

God can and will forgive any sin that you have done. One of the kings in the Bible (King David) was known to serve God with his whole heart, and yet he committed adultry and killed his lover's husband to cover up his crime. King David faced serious consequences for what he did (rightly so), but did find God's forgiveness.

After David was faced with his own evil, he wrote about the feelings of regret for what he did. This writing is found in the Bible in Psalm 51 (part of which is quoted below). In Psalm 51 we see that David regretted what he did, admitted the depths of how horrible his acts were, faced the consequences, but knew all along that God forgives even the worst of sinners.

What is the sin that you consider unforgivable? Are you willing to be freed from it? You can be and if you are reading and following this, you will be.

SCRIPTURE FOR CONSIDERATION

Have mercy upon me, O God,
​​According to Your lovingkindness;
​​According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
​​Blot out my transgressions.
​​Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
​​And cleanse me from my sin.
For I acknowledge my transgressions,
​​And my sin is always before me.
(Psalm 51:1-3)

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins (1 John 1:8-9).

No comments:

Post a Comment