Saturday, May 14, 2011

Step One - Admit It!

God has given you a desire to know him; to reach out and discover all He has for you. He has also given you the steps needed to find the life He wants you to have. Are you ready?

Step One: Admitting Sin

Twelve Step programs usually start with the need to admit that we are powerless over our addictions (whatever addiction that may be). The act of admitting is powerful and it can be freeing. Sin like addiction hides itself under self delusion. For example one mantle of deception frequently used is this: "I think I am doing very well because I am nicer than most people I run into." Other examples include justifications such as, "I can quit anytime I want." or "As long as I don't hurt anyone..." You get the picture. All these serve to hide the reality that all of us are far from perfect. In fact, the Bible says "All have sinned."

Simply defined, sin is the lack of ability to live up to God's requirements and standards. God has asked us to love Him and to love others as we would love our own selves. The problem is this...we are self-centered by nature and therefore will serve self interests above all others, God or other.

Not all self interest is bad. I brush my teeth so that I won't have bad teeth, I shower so that my co-workers won't shun me. But a lot of self interest is bad. Cheating, lying, stealing, murder, manipulating others and so on are not accepted in any culture.

The more I can face my own self centered actions and thoughts, the more I will be able to find victory over them. The more I hide them from myself or justify them, the more I will become their slaves.

Self centeredness also means that we have all gone our own way. In the story of Adam and Eve (some consider this literal and some consider it metephorical), the two parents of all humanity decided they could choose better than God, when it came to what was best for them. They looked at what would serve their own intersests ignoring God's warnings and advice. That was the root of sin that has plagued all of humanity since the human race began. The story of Adam and Eve clearly tells us that when we make ethical / moral decisions, we are making up our own minds as to what is right or wrong. And the decisions we make are based primarily on what serves our own interests.

We see this in individuals as well as groups and most of all in nations - every nation, not just those you don't like.

This is the first step to becoming a Christian - Admitting that you like the rest of humanity have sinned.

SCRIPTURE TO THINK ABOUT

He who keeps his sins secret will not do well...(Proverbs 28:13).

Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the LORD." And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone (Psalm 32:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment